Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a typical day like at Carroll Community College?
  2. Do I need an e-mail address?
  3. Is public transportation available to and from school?
  4. How long will it take to earn a degree?
  5. What do you do if you miss a class?
  6. Is there a penalty for being late to class?
  7. How much will books cost?
  8. Are there jobs available on campus?
  9. Are there options that help with college costs?


1.What is a typical day like at Carroll?

It is difficult to describe a typical day because Carroll students come from a variety of places. Some students arrive around 8 a.m. and spend the day on campus going to classes, eating in the Canteen Café, attending campus events or studying in the library. Other students might have work or family responsibilities during the day and may come to campus just once a week in the evenings. There are plenty of opportunities for you to be involved on campus. Visit the Office of Student Life to get more information on getting connected. 

2.Do I need an email address?

It is a good idea to get an e-mail account while you are a student at Carroll. All classes utilize Blackboard (Carroll’s online learning environment), which requires an active email address. You can also use email to communicate with your instructors and your classmates. On campus computers are available for student use, and you can obtain a free email account from sites like Yahoo or Hotmail that provide access from any Internet accessible computer.

3.Is public transportation available to and from school?

The Carroll Area Transit System (CATS) operates a deviated fixed route service in Westminster, and a demand response service throughout the remainder of the county. The deviated fixed route in Westminster has five trips per day. In addition, demand response routes run in and around most of the towns in the county. The Westminster fixed route service operates Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., and costs $1 per trip.

A student per term pass offers unlimited rides for a one time payment. Passes can be purchased at the Cashier's office or CATS. Simply complete and submit the application.
You can also post a flyer for your transportation needs on the Community Bulletin Board. Stop by the Student Life Office (A118) to have your flyer approved. 

4.How long will it take to earn a degree?

Most degree programs at Carroll can be completed within two or three years, but that depends on how many credits you take each term. Some students take a term off while other students take summer and winter session classes. You are considered a full-time student if you take at least twelve credits per term. However, to graduate in two years, some programs require you to take at least fifteen credits per term. It is important to work with your adviser so you complete your degree in the time you need. 

5.What do you do if you miss a class?

If at all possible, you should let your instructor know ahead of time you will need to miss a class. In an emergency situation, you should contact your instructor as soon as possible afterward. In either case, it is your responsibility to get all of the notes and assignments from the missed class. For this reason, it is a good idea to have the contact information of another student, in the class, who can provide you with the information you missed. 

6.Is there a penalty for being late to class?

The attendance policies of your instructors will vary. It is a good idea to check your syllabus and make sure you understand the policy for each of your classes. If you think that you might have trouble getting to class, talk with your instructor and let him/her know ahead of time. 

7.How much will books cost?

The costs of textbooks vary from $10 to $150 depending on major and course. You can discover which books you need for each course, get price information, and purchase them at the Bookstore

8.Are there jobs available on campus?

There are a variety of student employment positions on campus. The first step is to learn about current openings and eligibility criteria from the Financial Aid Office. The Career Development Center posts local job openings on the Student Job Board in the Student Center and online at the College Central Network.  

9. Are there options that help with college costs? 

Financial Aid assists eligible students with meeting their college-related expenses. Financial assistance is provided through scholarships, grants and employment opportunities. Visit the Financial Aid Office (A114) for more information. Carroll also offers the FACTS deferred payment plan, which allows you to pay your tuition and fees in monthly installments.

Orientation FeedbackThe Role of Parents

Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help