F-1 Visa Student Admissions

Carroll is authorized to issue Form I-20, which enables a non-U.S. citizen to apply for an F1 visa through the Department of State in their home country to study full-time in the U.S.
The following items are needed before Form I-20 form can be authorized by the college:

  • A completed enrollment application.
    Completion deadlines:
    Fall Term -  June 15
    Spring  Term -  Oct. 30
  • The English translated version of high school records. All foreign college-level transcripts must be evaluated by the AACRAO Foreign Education Credentials Service at your expense before the transferability of foreign credits can be determined.  
  • An official transcript of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the Admissions Office. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79-80 on the internet based test is required. If you are in the U.S., you may take the college placement test in lieu of the TOEFL. To qualify for admission, the minimum placement required for Reading is READ-099 and ENG-097 for English.
  • Official evidence of financial support ($15,000 in a local account) for the coming year.  Finances must be in U.S. dollars.
  • Completion of the Affidavit of Support form identifying local sponsorship by an individual in the community who will provide living accommodations for the student.   
  • If you are transferring to Carroll from another institution, you need to provide a copy of your I-20 form from your previous institution, and have maintained your status as an F-1 student.

You are considered for admission only after each of the above requirements have been met and verified by the college's Office of Admissions. Upon successful completion, you are given a Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa.

Schedule an appointment with your embassy or consulate to apply for an F1 student visa. You are required to fill out the I-901 form and pay a $200 fee prior to your appointment. The form and payment can be paid online. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant or deny F-1 visa status, not the college.

When approved for F-1 student visa, you must enroll full-time for a minimum of 12 credits each term, and are charged out-of-state/country tuition rates. You are eligible to work on-campus  (based on job availability), at a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help