Course Abstract Details
CHIN-101, Elementary Chinese
CHIN 101, Elementary Chinese 1, is basic Chinese for students with little or no knowledge of the language. The course provides a solid foundation in the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking, as well as grammar. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of READ-091. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Express preferences (PG 4, GE 1)
2. Improve vocabulary (PG 4, GE 1)
3. Improve pronunciation, intonation, and overall accent in Chinese (PG 4, GE 1)
4. Converse in Chinese at the beginning level (PG 4, GE 1)
5. Increase their awareness, knowledge and understanding of the culture of the Chinese speaking people (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
6. Be able to read and comprehend cultural reading selections appropriate to the beginning level (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
7. Be able to write comprehensive paragraphs and descriptions on given topics demonstrating increased improvement in writing ability using pinyin simplified Chinese script (PG 2, GE 1).
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: