Course Abstract Details
ENG-097, Writing Effective Paragraphs and Essays
ENG-097, Writing Effective Paragraphs and Essays provides instruction and practice in the writing of unified, coherent, and adequately developed paragraphs and essays. Students will also begin preparation of the Carroll Community College writing portfolio with samples of their best writing tasks. Students who successfully complete ENG-097 are eligible to take ENGL-101. Prerequisite: satisfactory score on the placement test/completion of ENG-091 and exemption/completion of ASE Reading. Four hours lecture. Four billable hours. No credit.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
1. Write a well-constructed paragraph. (GE1, PG1)
a. Write a clearly worded, sophisticated topic sentence or
thesis that reveals the point students will support.
b. Use clear specific details that support the topic sentence.
c. Use clear organization with well chosen transitions.
2. Write a well-developed emerging essay that meets specified criteria for each assignment. (GE1,2 PG2)
a. Write a clearly worded, sophisticated thesis that reveals the
point students will support.
b. Develop the thesis throughout the essay using concrete
c. Use organization appropriate to the purpose of the essay.
d. Write with appropriate consideration of audience.
3. Write with varied sentence structure and appropriate word choice. (GE1 PG3)
4. Demonstrate an emerging use of correct grammar and punctuation in writing. (GE1 PG4)
5. Demonstrate the use of the writing process. (GE1,7 PG1,2)
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: