Tornado / Severe Weather Alerts
Severe Weather Alerts / Outdoor Warning System
As part of Carroll Community College’s emergency notification system, the college has installed an outdoor warning notification. A siren will sound in the event of a tornado or other severe weather whenever one should seek immediate shelter in designated tornado shelter areas (interior rooms, stairwells, & bathrooms). Look for the green tornado shelter signs..
Carroll Community College subscribes to the several weather alert services in order to be informed on severe weather conditions.
The college wide PA system and the outdoor siren and will be used when communication of an alert is needed to be broadcast to the entire college community. The outdoor alert will be broadcast for tornados and when necessary, severe thunderstorms.
An all clear will be broadcast over the PA system when the weather related emergency has past. For warning categories and emergency safety procedures see the steps below:
Severe Thunderstorm or Tornado Watch: Severe thunderstorms or tornados are possible. The Administration Office will monitor several weather resources for changes. Continue normal activities.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning: Severe thunderstorms are occurring. Be prepared to move to a place of shelter and follow the steps below.
- Campus community should be indoors and away from windows.
- Report injuries to security.
Tornado Warning: Outdoor siren will sound and an announcement may be made over the PA system. Follow steps below:
- Campus community should seek shelter immediately.
- Stairwells, interior hallways and rooms, and bathrooms offer the best shelter. Go to interior rooms or hallways and close the doors.
- Stay away from windows and exterior doors. Do not open windows.
- If in a vehicle, get out and seek shelter in a sturdy building or move away at a right angle to the tornado. DO NOT DRIVE OR TRY TO OUTRUN A TORNADO. IF a building is not available, a depression such as a ditch or ravine offers some protection.
- Listen to local radio, television, etc. for latest National Weather Service bulletins.
- Report injuries, entrapment and damage to College Security.
- After “all clear” leave badly damaged buildings and do not attempt to return to the building unless directed to do so by College Security. Do not attempt to turn utilities or equipment on or off.
- Stay away from downed power lines.
Remember an outdoor siren indicates a Tornado Warning and seek shelter immediately.