College Announces a Campaign in Honor of Dr. Faye Pappalardo
Release Date: 4/2/2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Sylvia Blair
Executive Assistant to the President
Carroll Community College
Carroll Community College Announces a Campaign in Honor of Dr. Faye Pappalardo
Westminster, Md., —Carroll Community College (Carroll) announces the “Making the Difference” Campaign in honor of College President Dr. Faye Pappalardo, who is retiring. The new fundraising initiative has been established in honor of Dr. Pappalardo’s legacy of transforming lives through education and provides continuous support of the college’s most important priorities. The campaign goal has been set at over $1 million.
Glenn Bair, a longtime supporter of Carroll Community College, is serving as chair of the “Making the Difference” campaign. “I consider it an honor and a privilege to be serving as the campaign chair for the campaign. This campaign theme seems so fitting for an organization that makes such a great difference to so many families in our community every year. I personally have the highest regard for Dr. Pappalardo for her role in helping to change the lives of countless individuals.”
The campaign focuses on the five most significant areas of need:
- Student Scholarships: Additional funds will support scholarships to make it possible for more degree-seeking students to attend college full-time and to assist students in completing non-credit workforce training programs.
- State-of-the-Market Programs and Equipment: Advanced technologies tend to become obsolete quickly. Additional funds will help science, information technology, engineering, nursing and allied health students to have equipment and technologies available to them before they encounter them in the workplace.
- Innovation in Curriculum Design: Additional funds will help to increase student completion and success by supporting faculty work, instructional technology for individualized learning, and incentives for student progress. The goal of curriculum re-design includes customizing course content to accelerate student learning and degree completion.
- Employee Development: Faculty and staff development effectively addresses the pressing need for employees to keep their skills and knowledge up-to-date. Faculty must stay current in classroom technologies. Staff must be experienced in effective admissions, recruiting, and retention and completion strategies. Such techniques and strategies are ever-changing and require funding.
- Student Support and Engagement: Student success is created by providing opportunities that are engaging and require students to find relevance in their learning. High-impact practices include internships and service-learning, undergraduate research, and academic communities. Expansion of such opportunities can help to motivate greater numbers of students to be more likely to complete their college educations.
Many of these initiatives were conceived by Dr. Pappalardo, who has led Carroll with tireless energy, unwavering integrity and extraordinary humanity. Her goals are ever- focused on providing the highest-quality learning programs possible to meet the needs of county citizens and employers.
To date, the campaign has generated over $700,000 in donor commitments. Pledges will continue to be solicited until June 30, 2014, which is Dr. Pappalardo’s retirement date.
The community may consider supporting the campaign in the form of a one-time gift or a pledge commitment for up to three years. Carroll faculty and staff are currently engaged in an employee-giving phase. Carroll’s Board of Trustees and Foundation Board of Directors have already given their commitments to support the campaign.
To find out how to participate in the “Making the Difference” campaign, contact Steve Wantz, executive director of the Carroll Community College Foundation, by calling 410-386-8154 or e-mail email@example.com. You may also learn more at www.carrollcc.edu/makingthedifference