F-1 Visa Student Admissions

Carroll is authorized to issue the Form I-20, which enables a non-U.S. citizen to apply for an F-1 visa through the Department of State in their home country to study full-time in the U.S.
The following items are needed before Form I-20 form can be authorized by the college:

  • A completed enrollment application.
    Completion deadlines:
    Fall Term -  June 15
    Spring  Term -  Oct. 30
  • The English translated version of high school records. All foreign college-level transcripts must be evaluated by the AACRAO Foreign Education Credentials Service at the student's expense before the transferability of foreign credits can be determined. A course-by-course evaluation is required of students who have earned previous college credit.
  • An official transcript of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the Admissions office. The following minimum scores are required:
    • 550 on the paper-based test
    • 213 on the computer-based test
    • or 79-80 on the internet based test

      Students in the U.S., may take the college placement test in place of the TOEFL. To qualify for admission, the minimum placement required for Reading is READ-099 and ENG-097 for English.
  • Official evidence of financial support ($15,000 in a local account) for the coming year.  Finances must be in U.S. dollars.
  • Completion of the Affidavit of Support form identifying local sponsorship by an individual in the community who will provide living accommodations for the student.   
  • Students transferring to Carroll from another institution need to provide a copy of their I-20 form from their previous institution, and have maintained their status as an F-1 student.

Students are considered for admission only after each of the above requirements have been met and verified by the college's Admissions office. Upon successful completion, Form I-20 is issued for students to apply for an F-1 student visa.

To apply for an F-1 student visa, students must schedule an appointment with their embassy or consulate. Completing the I-901 form and paying a $200 fee is required prior to the appointment. The form and payment can be completed online. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant or deny F-1 visa status, not the college.

When approved for F-1 student visa, students must enroll full-time for a minimum of 12 credits each term, and are charged out-of-state/country tuition rates. They are eligible to work on-campus (based on job availability), at a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help