A certified clinical Medical Assistant is an unlicensed multi-skilled health care practitioner who is competent in a wide variety of clinical and laboratory procedures and many administrative roles. Medical Assistants perform routine administrative and clinical tasks to keep physician, podiatry, chiropractic and other health practitioner offices running smoothly. Medical Assisting is projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations. Job prospects are best for medical assistants with formal training and certification.
Most employers require 18 years or older and high school diploma or GED.
Information Unique to the Training
The program requires study time outside of class and includes college level texts. Tests must be passed prior to the clinical experience. Clinical requires written documentation of MMR immunity, negative TB test or chest x-ray within the last 12 months, Hepatitis B immunity or waiver.
Courses to Complete
- AHE-149 Medical Terminology for Health Careers (30 hrs.)
- AHE-144 Introduction to Health (36 hrs.)
- AHE-145 Introduction to Health Care Systems (15 hrs.)
- AHE-196 Professional Preparation in Healthcare (6 hrs.)
- AHE-146 Basic Math for Health Care Workers (10 hrs.)
- AHE-046 CPR Healthcare Provider/BLS
- (American Heart Association) (8 hrs.)
- AHE-147 HIPAA Training (4 hrs.)
- AHE-150 Basic Anatomy & Physiology for Health Careers (30 hrs.)
- AHE-160 Basic Patient Intake (50 hrs.)
- AHE-161 Basic EKGs for Health Care Professionals (20 hrs.)
- TBA Introduction to Electronic Health Records (27 hrs.)
- AHE-559 Medical Administrative Assistant (18 hrs.)
- TBA Medical Assistant 1/Intro lab tech (66 hrs.)
- AHE-200 Phlebotomy 1 (48 hrs.) and 8 hours phlebotomy clinical
- AHE-199 Medical Billing for the Physician’s Office (40 hrs.)
(Note: Hours for Module 2 are projected)
- Clinical (120 hours)
Approximate Number of Hours
Approximate Training Cost*
After successful completion, you are prepared to take the certification exam and will be eligible for national certification as a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
Estimated Hourly Wage**
*Unless noted, the cost does not include any required textbooks, applicable licensing fees, background check fees, testing fees, etc.
**Wages are based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and are estimates only.