Academic Program - Nursing: Associate Degree Nursing (ADN)
The mission of the nursing program is to be the best in Maryland at preparing skilled registered nurses and licensed practical nurses to deliver exceptional nursing care to meet the needs of our community. Guided by the Maryland Nurse Practice Act and directed by the criteria and guidelines as set forth in the NLNAC, as an institution, we are committed to teaching and to the development of future nurses.
- Goal 1: Practice nursing within an established theoretical framework, the Neuman Systems Model, at the generalist level for the client system across the lifespan and with any degree of alteration in wellness.
- Goal 2: Use the nursing process to prioritize nursing care for the client system experiencing stressors from the internal and external environment as a means of decision-making for refining and evaluating practice.
- Goal 3: Use critical thinking and applied theories, principles, evidenced-based nursing, and concepts in making decisions to assist the client system to attain, maintain and retain stability.
- Goal 4: Provide safe, competent nursing care.
- Goal 5: Implement comprehensive therapeutic communication skills, both written and verbal, when interacting with the client system and members of the health care team during primary, secondary and tertiary prevention.
- Goal 6: Provide client teaching to strengthen normal and flexible lines of defense.
- Goal 7: Demonstrate through practice, the legal and ethical parameters while caring for the client system that is retaining, attaining, and/or maintaining the goal of system stability.
- Goal 8: Analyze the impact of one’s own behaviors, attitudes, and values in helping the client system deal with physiological, psychological, sociocultural, developmental, and spiritual variables.
- Goal 9: Demonstrate accountability for decision-making related to nursing by internalizing professional workforce behaviors.
- Goal 10: Demonstrate commitment to continued learning by self-directed learning, professional growth, and professional organization membership.
- Goal 11: Delegate care of the client system to appropriately prepared health care personnel
Chair, Department of Nursing, Nursing Program Director