Course Abstract Details
PORT-101, Elementary Portuguese
PORT 101, Elementary Portuguese 1, is basic Portuguese for students with little or no knowledge of the language. The course provides a solid foundation in the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking, as well as grammar. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of READ-091. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. increase their awareness, knowledge and understanding of the culture of the Portuguese-speaking people (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
2. be able to communicate in Portuguese in exchanging meaningful dialogue, using grammatical structures and vocabulary to attain better oral proficiency (PG 3, PG 4, GE 1, GE 2).
3. refine accuracy of pronunciation skills using the Portuguese language (PG 4, GE 1).
4. be able to read and comprehend cultural reading selections appropriate to the beginning level. (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
5. be able to write comprehensive paragraphs and descriptions on given topics demonstrating increased improvement in writing ability (PG 2, GE 1).
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: