Course Abstract Details
FREN-101, Elementary French 1
FREN-101, Elementary French 1, is basic French for students with little or no knowledge of the language. The course provides a solid foundation in the four language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking, as well as grammar. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of READ-091. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. Offered Fall Term only. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Use the four skills: speaking, understanding, reading, and writing in elementary French (PG 1-4, GE 1).
2. Gain an appreciation for French culture (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
3. Conduct an elementary conversation with a partner using French and ask questions and use a variety of vocabulary (PG3-4, GE 1).
4. Discuss events in the present, past, and future tenses (PG3-4, GE 1).
5. Write sentences and brief paragraphs about given subjects (PG 2, GE 1).
6. Read and understand the reading selections and answer questions about the reading selections (PG 1, 3-5, GE 1, 6)
7. Share French culture with the class; i.e. prepare French food, discuss a French painting, and/or discuss the Euro (PG 5, GE 1, 6)
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: